Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Another Childhood Memory

Is it every little girl's dream to be Miss Universe? Much as I would like to deny it, I once had that dream too. Haha. And it was sparked off by the pageant that was held in Singapore (where else?) in 1987.

I was only 9 then (hey. that was the year my bro was born!). The household had just gotten a VCR. A real novelty in those days! I remember I was watching the few taped shows over and over again - Jackie Chan's Drunken Fists etc..and of course, the Miss Universe 1987. There was a Singapore girl in the top 10! What more do you need to make a 9-year old embark on her little beauty queen fantasy? :)

Well, the new Miss Universe 2009 was crowned just 2 days ago. All the girls were gorgeous of course, as they strutted their stuff in flamboyant (and outrageous) national costumes, skimpy bikinis and designer gowns. But over the years, the elegance and the grace of the girls had sadly, in my opinion, received less focus in the competition. Even the competition itself, was rushed and littered with distasteful comments by the em-cees. You just don't feel touched or inspired by the whole thing anymore.

I was surprised that there're a youtube videos on the 1987 competition, including my favourite section. It was fun to see the big hair-dos, heavy make-up and 1980s gowns with shoulder pads (I still remember some of the gowns!). Most memorable part? The little girls dressed in SQ's sarong kebaya and singing "You are my star" as the top 10 finalists made their final walks. After 22 years, I still remember the tune.

And not forgetting: in those days, it was 1-piece swimsuits, not bikinis. :)
Enjoy...our early attempt at international exposure before the days of F1 Night Race and Youth Olympics 2010.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home