Friday, September 01, 2006

Be A Singaporean. Stay Connected

I'm here to rant about national issues again.

PM recently announced in his national day rally speech that there will be efforts to make overseas Singaporeans feel connected. This means much to me, since now I AM an overseas Singaporean now. I went excitedly to the newly set-up
website (why can't they think of a more creative name for heavens sake). To my disappointment, it's another standard pro-SG PR website. Sigh. Slap myself for having high hopes in the gahmen's creative men.

So? What connects me to SG? I really feel good when I view
Mr Brown's blog. He talks more about what matters to me most compared to what CNA reports. I laugh at his podcasts and blogs - because they reflect how I really feel about SG matters.

I just watched a few video podcasts on an event organised by
TalkingCock.com - the Talkingcock in Parliament. The speakers are all SG-reans and all talk about how they feel about SG. Most were hilarious. But everyone reflected the true SG heart. No pretences, no giving politically correct answers. I especially love Hossan Leong's song and Ruby Pan's Singlish thoughts.

There are many things we take for granted when living in SG. The convenience of everything - transport, food (i was telling hubby that i could have curry puffs for breakfast every morning 2 months ago - at 40 cents each. now, i have to spend 1 hour making them just to satisfy our craving), ammenities.....and family and friends are just a bus ride or a phone call away.

When you're overseas, you treasure all anything that bears connection to home. We all want to feel connected. Not through an official website..but through relationships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home